Friday 6 July 2012

Spain 2012 - Final

I am just going to note down points from the trip to Spain 2012. Not in any particular order – just thoughts – not for any particular reader – just for me really.

Equipment
Tent – I think that taking the Coleman Avior X3 was a good choice for the trip… it packed away small and was easy to pitch. The space inside was smaller than I am used to but I did get used to it.

Stove – I used a combination of the Multi Fuel stove and the cheap Chinese copy of a gaz unit and they both worked well – the quickness of the gas stove was appreciated. It fact I have taken it to Ripley and have left the petrol stove at home. I like the idea of one pot cooking. Forget the fancy stuff..

Packing – Packing the bike was easy at the end as I put everything that I wasn't using in the top-box and left it there. Note to self – take much less next time

Garmin – Gertie was fine all the way until the last two days when the screen gave up and started self selecting items !!! She continued to give crap directions – but thats SatNavs for you….. Best used as a guide rather than gospel. She did take us to some out of the way places though but I did try to stay off motorways.. …. But she was crap in big towns as the voice and screen changes are just not quick enough – by the time you get the message you have invariably passed the turn….

Bike – Apart from a couple of small items the bike went very well – even in the 40+ degree temperatures. One brake light bulb did need replacing. I needed oil after about 2000 miles and of course I managed to drop the bike off the centre stand (on soft grass) and broke a mirror –the right one again…

Campsites – I don't think we could fault with any of the campsites – some are better that others but they served well – ever the concrete ground at Seville was manageable – just !! And the kids at the site in the mountains could not be foreseen - I blame their handlers. Most were selected from the ACSI database. I must make use of more of the French municipal campsites: they don't offer many amenities; but they are generally inside towns, clean and are usually secure.

Overall – I did enjoy the trip – it may have been a bit far for the others; with not enough stops but I kind of like it that way. The heat had a lot to do with the days feeling very long. Would I do it again? – oh yes. I did enjoy the company too but I still have preference to travelling solo – but it I had to; I believe that ideal number would be myself plus one.

I am still at HU in Ripley and have spoken to many people here about the dynamics of group riding…. And there are just as many opinions as riders….. Every trip is different and every rider is different – so many combinations……… but I do need to slow down – ride shorter days – stop more often – and create more opportunities to meet people – I know I am not too good at that !!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry wizzy thing