Wednesday 26 July 2017

West County - Day 2

Dear reader,

Last nights campsite is a good one (Bundu Campsite) but it also had the added advantage of having a pub next door.   I got sorted on the site, all tidied up, cooked pasta and something with chicken, and off I went only to find that the pub has been closed down - Bugger.     So it was back to the tent, put on the kettle and had an early night.

As forecast the rain started about 3am and continued until about 1.30pm.   I had a breakfast at the local little chef, and rode the back roads to Bude and then South West try to avoid the A30 and A39 where possible.   Lot of very narrow lanes, and loads of traffic coming the other way - even a huge German coach which meant that at least 8 cars and lane motorcycle had to back up 50 yards to let it through....

I stopped for a tea break at the McD just outside Hale... still raining and then discovered that the messenger bag I was carrying had lost it waterproofness..  so I had to unload the contents into the panniers, I thought Andy Straps Stuff was waterproof - oh well.

So having taken some very twisty back roads I passed through Port Isaac - so narrow and full that I could not even stop... then St Ives, Zennor, Pendeen, St Just and finally arrived at Lands end.    I remember visiting here some 24 years ago and it was a quiet place, now it's a noisy, brash theme park.  All that was missing was beach donkeys and kiss-me-quick hats.  I had a cold drink (cup of tea was £2), took a couple of photos and left.

I asked Gertie Garmin for a local campsite and I am now set up at Trevvervan Camp Site.  Tomorrow I will visit the Telegraph Museum, the Minack Theatre and The Lizard Point and then ride up the coast towards Plymouth.

I think I am having Rice and something horrid tonight..... I blame the chef......