Sunday 21 June 2009

..@ HU Ripley







Good morning, it’s is 8 am and I am at the Horizons Unlimited Travellers Meeting in Ripley Derbyshire. Arrived on Wednesday afternoon – had a good journey up although Gertie Garmin did take me through the centre of Burton-on-trent – but that was informative: I now know where Marmite is made and where Coors Beer comes from !!

One set up on site (pitched me tent next to Sam Manicom and Mike O’Malley). The photo is of me with Sam's BMW. The rest of the time we spent unloading chairs for the presentations, setting up and testing the IT equipment, and generally being useful. Then it was Larger time and off the bed at 11.30 – very late for me…

Thursday was a little more setting up and the presentations started at 4pm.. I am looking after one of the presentation room and sat in on two good presentations – one for Tori on the subject of Yoga for Motorcyclists (might be good for my back) and another presentation from Ian Mutch on his Organised trip to Dakar – very amusing – must get the book. I also attended another forum on camping which was good. Then I was called to the bar for a well earned couple of lemonades !!




It is now Friday morning and the place is starting to get much busier. The first presentation is at 9am in my room. There are also demo of changing tyres and first aid that I would like to get to…

The are long queues forming now for the showers and breakfast.. I made boil-in-bag Beans and Sausage this morning (Army K Rations again – brilliant). I managed to persuade the cleaners to let me use the showers at 7am and therefore beat the queues…

Attended about 5 futher presentations during the event - even the "Road Kill" cooking !!!

Right – better go and sort out the laptops for the start of the day. This blog will be uploaded as soon as I can but there is no WiFi here… I will have to drop into a McDonalds on the way home !!!