Sunday 1 July 2018

Oak Hill California

Good morning dear Reader,

Now that was a long day yesterday - I left Kingman in the cool of the morning (5:30am) and set out for the Oak Hill house of Mark and Ginamarie Austin-Bray. They had kindly invited me to stay a while on my trip to the coast... I think the distance was about 250 so I would take about 5 hours or nearer 6 with fuel breaks and a breakfast stop.

I knew it was going to get hot on the I-40 and I could feel it on my back by 7am... The I-40 is not the most interesting road in the world but I did not want to hang around in the heat by taking the Route 66 road again.





I finally arrived about noon at the house - the surprise was the 2 miles of off-road and sand between the main road and their house ..... how I made it I'm not sure but I did.. slipping and sliding... that night we had a BBQ and that was really great. By 8:30pm I had had enough and felt the need to go to bed - I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, and did not awake until 7 this morning.


We spent the rest of the day doing email and blogs... I real do-nothing-day.

Tomorrow I will take the slow road over the the coast near Ventura and be a tourist for a day or so if the weather is kind to me.... after that I will visit the US Customs en-Route to Huntington Beach for the final days of this trip..... I have already arranged for a trip to the Queen Mary at Long Beach to see if they can identify the Captain in the picture of my Father shaking hands with the Queen Mother, as we need to establish if this was on the Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth...

The other photos are of me typing this blog and my hosts on the www...