Monday 18 May 2009

18th May 2009



Following an excellent supper with 10 others around a table at the Camping Moto, and a couple of well earned lagers it was another early night. By the way I cannot recommend this site enough – I do believe I found it on the http://www.horizons-unlimited.com/ site – I will be stopping there again on the way back (Friday). Started today with a great coffee and hit the road by 9am. Gertie Garmin was playing fast and loose with the country lanes but eventually we got sorted and made good progress throughout the day. Managed to totally loose the plot around Auch after leaving Condom (some places just have to be visited !!) and spent a worrying 20mins in narrowing lanes – at one point the grass on the banks was touching BOTH panniers !! and it was slippy and wet – a real bum-clencher.

After refuelling I took a break a looked at the route again – a change of plan was needed – so cancel to destination of Tarbes / Lourdes and replaced it with Fos which is with striking distance of the Spanish border. A good run put me and Mr Mugabe well and truly in the Pyrenees and we finally stopped at St Beat.
Pitched camp – with a demonstration by the Camp Commandant on what to do if the site flooded !!! we are next to a very swollen river and it’s running very fast. Had a walk into town and besides 4 Policemen on a corner I think the Germans have been here again! I did find one newsagents open and paid 4.25 Euros for a newspaper !! I won’t be doing that again.

Nite


Days total 214
Trip Total Mileage 714