Wednesday 20 May 2009

19TH May 2009


Having gone to bed at about 7pm I still slept through until 7am this morning. I would make a note for the record – I ventured into the Army K Rations last night and had the Lamb Curry and Rice – Excellent – beats that civi stuff hands down. The valley was full of mist but I could see the sun starting to burn it off as it rose over the mountains. All packed and ready to go by 8am. Before I even settled in the ride I was through the border and into Spain… and not long before I was climbing up a extremely twisty roads further into the Pyrenees and up to the snow line – and yes there is still snow up there very cold too. Odd feeling riding around amongst the ski lifts !!

The I started the descent and I was determined that the group of peddle cyclists were not going to overtake me on the way down !! I won – just !!

At the bottom I meet the first traffic jam of the trip – queuing to get through the customs at Andorra – everything going very slow but no-one checking anything !! The I did battle with Andorra de Vella. A very prosperous looking town but full of petrol stations and everywhere new buildings or new roads – finally escaping into the hills and the campsite at Xirella. A very good site and the sun is shining, the washing is drying – it was very quiet about 10 minutes ago but the mower man has appeared!! Arrived about 2pm si I am counting this as a half day / rest day.

I had the site to myself until about 5 minutes ago – and now two Germans – both riding well-travelled XRV 750 Africa Twins have arrived – and strangely enough have parked on the far side on the park – such a friendly lot Herman the German.

I have yet to decide about tomorrow – I might ride all the way to Millau and arrive a day early and break up the following day into two ! Off the find some Andorran Beer and a WiFi connection!! Found a WiFi at McDonalds near Carcasone

Days Mileage 121
Trip Total Mileage 835