Saturday 4 June 2016

Eureka in California


Well here we are in the 19th State to be visited during this trip... Today is the 3rd of June and it is our 27th Wedding Anniversary - Debbie and I that is; not Madiba and I.....  To celebrate I am tucking into a tub of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream... Apparently it has to be eaten within 30 minutes of opening... I will give it a try...  Well this is California after all.


I got up early and packed, rode into town for coffee and a yoghurt... Then off the the Honda shop - they start at 7:30am here...  Excellent service from the staff and it was all done by 9am..  I was even given a Honda Coos Bay tee shirt (Photo to follow)...  Many thanks Mike, Gary and all  the staff at Coos Bay Honda 😃😃. I am so pleased that I got the bike cleaned before taking it in..  It does look good.....

Then started the shortish ride down the 101 South towards Crescent City.. Most of the ride was in sunshine and the views were great but there was a lot of sea fog drifting over the road.  When not in the sunshine it was bloody cold...  I stopped for lunch at Brookings and met a couple of nice guys and we talked about bikes and stuff, and where to visit etc...  One was a bit deaf so the conversation was repeated many times and loudly!!!   I left and passed through a couple of Redwood Forests with their huge trees..  very impressive.... I arrived at Crescent City at about 1:30pm - far too early to stop for the day so a decision was made to ride on to Eureka...   Nothing very exciting but a lot more fog...

I am now at the campsite and all set up...  Tomorrows plan is to ride to Redding but that is only  100 miles away... But the roads look twisty and there are a few hills to climb..  After that the next town is Susanville over near the Nevada border but that is 255 miles away.. But there is a State Park in between...  ah, got it, there is a site at Mt Lessen Park and that is just 185 miles... All sorted...

Odometer is 75783