Tuesday 7 June 2016

Yosemite - Mariposa California

Left Lake Tahoe after an early shower in the cool of the morning and immediately started to climb up to the snow line... and beyond... passed Echo Lake, and then Emmett's Pass (8731 ft). Route 4 starts and finishes as a good wide road but the bit in the middle sometimes gets down to very narrow minor road with hundreds of twists and turns both going up and then coming down.... with a lot of false summits on the way... I thought for one moment that I was going to run out of petrol but was saved to the gas station at Bear Valley (coffee and a Danish). I met with two sports bikers and they were about to go over Emmett's Pass again... Good guys.

Coming down off the mountain towards Moccasin the temperature got hotter and hotter as with climbed up and back down toward Mariposa. Passed an accident on the way; looked like a sports biker and pillion missed a downhill left hander and packed the bike into a tree. Both were walking wounded and being assisted by two other vehicles... Slower still as I carried on....

Time to stop as it is so hot out there..... I found a campsite and they were even more expensive than the last... California is taking the piss with the cost of a pitch for a tent.... Even the cabins were very expensive and they didn't even have a/c or a TV.. Bugger that I thought so I headed into Mariposa and started going from Motel to Motel looking for a room. Finally found one only a little more expensive than the camp site... I have a/c, Wifi and a TV.... Now watching Gladiator in the cool... and there is a restaurant next door - so that is supper sorted out....

Checking the maps for tomorrow and I will ride into Yosemite Valley in the morning and then down to Fresno and to the Sequoia Park. Then I will look at the map and clock again...

Nearly time to go home...