Saturday 4 June 2016

Mount Lessen - Shingleton - California

Good morning Dear reader,

An early start in the mist and cold this morning.. then up into the Shasta-Trinity National Forest... Lots of biker roads with twists and turns, steep uphills and even more downhills.. I had a good breakfast at Weaverville... Why does the deaf, ex biker always have to shout at me across the room.... It is amazing how many people would love to ride across their own country or another country but just have not got around to it.... and for most I think they have left it too late!!!

Climbing over the pass after Whiskeytown it was all stop for road works... The temperature was over 80 as we waited for about 30 minutes to get through... and then to our horror, there was no road, just earth, rubble or gravel and the big machines were still working..... What a nightmare... Soon afterward I was in Redding and the heat was intents so I did not stop but rode on to the campsite.... It is starting to cool down now... I must go a get more water for tomorrow... So not a very exciting day, just one of those days when the miles have to be covered and there is not much to see... If I had taken the coast road, the scenery would have no doubt been good but I just did not fancy riding through San Francisco but I did want to see Yosemite Park, the ghost town of Brodie and Mono Lake. Then further south is the Giant Sequoias, before cutting back across towards the West Coast.. Onwards we go....

Odometer 75965

Tomorrows route is Susanville, then Truckee and finally Lake Tahoe. I think we actually cross back into Nevada for a short time around Reno and Carson City..