Wednesday 17 May 2017

France Day 2 - 17 May 17

After a good night sleep, only woken by the pouring rain during the night, I was having my first cup on tea at 6am.   I have decided to stay and the same camp site for all three night as it is so peaceful here.   

We set off at 8.30 this morning ( I should explain that 'we' are Madiba and I) I know that my last bike was Madiba and that this one was Herman (coz it comes from Germany) but I just can't ride a bike called Herman-the-German.....

Out first destination was the Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge, and very impressive it is to.  Then we moved on to the memorial to the Somme at Thiepval and lastly to the Newfoundland memorial at Beaumont-Hemel.   All were very impressive.  The numbers are just staggering 57,000 casualties including 19,000 killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme!!

Tomorrow we are going to the Somme Museum in Albert, the Lochnagar Crater of La Boisselle and the South African Memorial of Longueval.   Let his hope the weather stays fair.

I will a try to post some photos when I get a good WiFi signal.....

Nite