Saturday 16 May 2015

Spain, Rain and France

A good but very cold start this morning, over the lanes from Castrojeriz to the A 231 to Burgos - then N120 to Logrono, Pamplona where the rain got much worse.. I have never seen so many walkers and they are all striding away with there Nordic Walk Poles - I remember when we walked without them the good old days!!!

After that the world and his wife took the N121 north to Biarritz and I took the A135 which was not a mistake but I can see why people avoid it - very wet, very twisty and mostly in the clouds. Then the final burst to Ortez and after a really good hunt for the campsite I found it but it was closed and looked like it had been that way for some time... So the consolation prize was to double back to a McDonalds, regroup and tap in the next campsite.

So a quick run West to a very unloved campsite in Salies-de-Bearn. No one in reception on arrival and some two hours later the same... I hope they are there in the morning !!! I would hate to leave without paying for such a tatty pitch.

Tomorrow should be a shortish run of 345kms North some ways above Saintes.... Yes ahead of schedule again but waiting in a tent is not much fun so we are pressing on - the good news being that David made it home OK but it was a bit of a choppy crossing on the boat....

Later each...,