Monday 1 July 2019

1 July - Romania and Motocamp Bulgaria

Dear reader,

Sorry to have been off line for a couple of days but I am resting at Motocamp Bulgaria.

My last blog I was about to set off for Bulgaria via the vagaries of the Romanian road system.  Anyhow, I manage to get to Bulgaria and to find the MotoCamp.  Had a great reception for Greg and Mel and all.  Such I wonderful, pretty and relaxing place.  So many lovely people to meet and chat with.  Just as an aside to my previous blog, the day after I found the pass closed to traffic - the buggers opened  it !!! too far to ride back..

Yesterday, with the guidance of Dimitar we rode out for a sight seeing trip, but not before calling in on Graham Field for coffee at his wonderful house, in the village.  Firstly we visited the local monastery, and then over the Shipka pass to a monument high in the hills celebrating the liberation of Bulgaria from the Ottoman Empire.  After a stop for lunch we rode on over some of the worst pot-holed roads in Bulgaria and up to the "Space Ship" monument at Buzludzha dedicated to Communism...  now very dilapidated and shut up - but if you Google the name you will be able to how it used to look like inside.

On the way I hit a very large pot hole and it managed to trap my front mudguard extender into the front engine bar and brought the bike to a sudden stop.  I thought at first that I had had a puncture.  But we manage to release the front mudguard - removed the extender and bolt it all back together again.  Used the tool kit at last...  !!

The view from the monument was excellent, and then we had to ride down again... ROQ (roads of quality) they are not...  Then a quick visit to at ATM so as to pay the bill here (cash only).

We had another pleasant night chatting after supper and then it was time for bed.  I was up early again today and showered, did some washing and trimmed the beard before having breakfast at 9am.   Today is Monday and I not riding today, so today is a 'personal admin' day.  I will be repacking the panniers, sorting out the kit ready for tomorrow when I will be heading of south to Greece.