Thursday 11 July 2019

11 July - Slovenia,Austria and Germany

Dear reader,

Violent storm hits Greece https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48950755

Just reading about the storm that hit northern Greece and killed 7 people ... so sad... and I was there just about a week or so ago, one night in a tent and another at a motel.... shit weather usually follows me but this time I appear to be ahead of it.....

Anyway... I set off this morning early at 7:40am only to find that a couple of idiot Germans on GS's had put up their tent right across my down hill exit from my pitch... so I had to nervously navigate a steep downhill bank to get out ... ah well Tossers.....

It was overcast as I slipped out the back roads from Bled... but soon the weather closed in a the rain started... I stopped for fuel and purchased an Austrian Vigette (sounds like lunch doesn't it)... onwards into Austria - then it brightened up as a passed through some very dramatic landscapes and around and through mountain tunnels... one was about 8kms long ....maybe the Austrian could be asked to dig one under Stone Henge!!!!

Started raining and so I decided that it was better to ride on rather than head for an early campsite... putting up a tent and then sitting in it for the rest of the day did not appeal at all.... so I set Gertie Garmin to a distant destination and would ride until I had had enough for the day, which turned out to be about 3pm... the rain was getting heavier now and I had had enough. I located a near by Hotel in Memmingerburg and headed for it. I pulled in with 512kms on the clock.... the hotel was very good and used to be the hospital when this was a Luftwaffe Airbase... well appointed and very clean and I parked the bike in a large garage for the night. Had some strange pizza-like dish and now it's time to kip.... The forecast for tomorrow is no good so it will be the waterproof socks again tomorrow....

But for now it's under a duvet and sleep ...

Nite nite