Friday 5 July 2019

5 July - Montenegro and Croatia


Good evening dear Reader,

A quiet night at the Motel - far better quality than I deserve - but I was so knackered that I basically took the 2nd place I saw - the first being the Great Wester Premier… far too fancy.
I slept well and had a great breakfast before leaving at about 8am and heading for the coast at Budva.  I opted for the toll tunnel and it was far too early for twisty passes over the mountains, and it was only 1€…

Rode many a steep climb and downhills.. thank you Gertie…. Arrived at Lepetani and took the ferry across the inlet..   must has saved a few miles.  Had a chat with a Russian biker on a Honda Fireblade, one of the tee short and flip flop brigade. The coast road E65 E80 was one long traffic jam.  In fact most of the coast road is like that… just town after town, industrial areas everywhere.  If it had a view, then they have built high rise hotels and apartment blocks and basically buggered it all up.  

The real disappointment was the border crossing into Croatia… hundreds of vehicles queuing on both sides and only two lanes open.   Being English I just followed the queue the way only the English do, in high temperatures in full riding gear… I was just melting… After about 1 hour I was joined by the Spanish rider Lewis from yesterday, and we continued to queue…. After two hours we were joined by another 2 Spanish riders and when we reached to booth: they did not even look at our passports and just waved us through.     Next time I will queue the Germany way and ride straight to front… bollocks to them.

Then I stopped at the first petrol station and downed three litres of water… and rode on through Dubrovnik and on to the Camp site at Orasac, a few kms further on… I was going to stop at the site I used 5 years ago but they have hiked their prices up to 52€ per night for a tent !!! … WTF. Anyway the tent is up and in the shade and I am staying here for two days… Chillin…. I will visit the beach and the village shop to get some supplies later.

Nite nite