Monday 16 May 2011

16th May the Tyrol Mountains....

Follow an excellent beer and a big pizza I slept right through until 8am - mind you I had to get up in the night and don more clothes get cold up in these mountains... I hit the road towards Bolzano to meet up with Peter the son of Max Reisch... most will not have heard of him but I suppose he is the father of Motorcycle Adventurers having ridden across the Sahara in 1932 and from Austria to India in 1933 (with a pillion) on a 250cc Puch (pictures to follow)... and many other exploits on motorcycles and cars...


I meet Peter at this private museum a 1pm and was shown around the motorcycles and other vehicles.... and the highlight was that I was allowed to sit on the actual bike that Max used to ride to India: (the Book is one of the other ones translated into English - India The Shimmering Dream ) and it is available from Amazon... I was allows to take photos and Peter took some of me on the bike... We sat and chatted about his father and his Grandfather too he was great biker too..

Peter now has his very Vineyard and a fabulous view from his house over the mountains and the town of Bolzano. I said my thank you's and hit the road again for the second set of twisty passes that went on and on for hours.... imagine zig-zag hill in Dorset but over and over again for about 3 hours and you will be getting close. I managed to stop of few times and get photos.



I arrived that this site at about 4.30pm and whilst it is very pretty it does have a raging torrent running through it... I can hardly hear my self think here it will be a beer and earplugs tonight.

Tomorrow we (bike and I) head for the Stelvio Pass and then Chur which is apparently pronounced Kwa.... The blackberry is still able to pick up WiFi from across the river at reception so I should be able to update soon....  turned out that the Camp WiFi system was not working well but would be fixed by 10am tonorrow..



Todays total is a time consuming 109 and the Trip total is 2382