Friday 20 October 2017

Morocco Trip - 20 Oct

Good morning readers,

Well it is all change here… Having spent the night listening to the pouring rain over Wednesday night, the morning was no better. I packed up the tent in the rain and headed for the Pyrenees. Up and over we went, and sometimes though the mountains, wet all the way with just a small amount of fog/cloud. Emerging from a very long Sornport Tunnel and we were at last in La Belle France, and it was still raining… By the time I got to Tarbes I could see that the sky was improving to the North. I stopped at Toulouse and looked for a campsite - but they all appear to close in October…

Bugger this I thought I will just have to travel on the Auto Route and drop in on my brother to the West of Limoges. Distances are easy on the map but I rode on and on and it did not appear to get any closer. I arrived at Limoges ring road and started to travel into the countryside and it was getting very dark and I was running on fuel fumes..

Just when I thought I was going to run out - hey presto and fuel stop in the middle of nowhere… relief.. By now it was real country dark - blacker than a witche's armpit. Another 19Kms and I thought I had found the house but it was the neighbours and they kindly pointed me in the right direct and I arrived to find my brother standing in the drive - having followed me on the tracker. I parked up and 3 small beers and a meal later I was done for the day. I think I rode about 550kms yesterday - and that is far too much - I shall not be doing that again. Iron butt rallying is not for me. Having said that it will be a 400 mile ride to the port tomorrow.

I slept well and this morning I hung up the tent and stuff too dry a bit, and sorted out the chain on the bike. I shall be leaving here on Saturday morning and riding up the Caen and catching the boat to Portsmouth. I had thought about bimbling about in Spain and France for a few days just to fill the time and days, but what would be the point. I will arrive home early but there again I usually do.!! I will have plenty to do at home now that Autumn is here and both my house and my Mother's Cottage will be knee deep in leaves that need clearing… The bike will now need a service and new tyres too, and I will need to sort out the kit ready for the next trip…. USA 2018

I had thought that I would have a long think about the trip whilst on the boat as I have 4 hours to kill, But as I am sat in a warm kitchen in a very quiet piece of France - I will have another cup of tea and mull it over now. Maybe the categories should be:

Things I should have done:
Things I should not have done:
Things I should have taken:
Things I should not have taken:

I have decided that updating my blog as well as Facebook us just plain duplication - so next time I travel I will highlight the link to my blog on FB and if you would like to follow me on that please do…

Now; another cup of tea and a think….