Saturday 21 October 2017

Morocco Trip - Last Day

Good morning reader..

I departed from my brothers at Limoges at 8.30 and set out on the 300 miles ride to Caen and the boat home.

Although overcast and sometimes wet the first 3 hours were fine and the going good.   For the last 2 hours the effects of Storm Brian were becoming evident - more bloody winds - gradually getting stronger the closer I got to the coast.   I stopped for petrol half way and "Houston we have a problem"  - first the petrol machine would not accept my card, so I changed to another - still no go… So I decided to move the bike to the pay by cash line, and in doing so I broke the ignition key in the filler cap lock…. Bugger…   Fortunately I had a spare ignition key but the filler cap is now stuffed with a piece of key in it…  I manage to get fuel but two cards were still being rejected by the system, I was however able to open the cap again by using the stub of the broken key (this time)…  

Then the toll machine decided to join in and reject all my cards… Bugger again… I then had to get the attendant to process a card manually, as even the cash option did not work.  More horrendous riding through high winds - it is not fun being blown across the lanes of traffic.  I finally get to the port a nervous wreck as the winds were stupidly high now - and the process of riding over the high river bridge as I approached Caen left a nasty taste in my trousers……  

At last I arrived at the port, which was surrounded to 'illegals" sitting in the ditches by the road as I approached - story peeps: no room in these panniers!!  I booked in and was sent straight to the front of the line to board, and after a 20 minute wait I was on board having a very deserved cup of tea and a bun……   We are now underway.   End of trip…. 3785 + 30 old miles from Portsmouth to home, with a top speed of just 79mph.  

I am still thinking about some sort of summary of the trip…..

Wandering XRV signing off for this trip……