Saturday 30 April 2016

HU Day 2 - Friday

Dear reader(s)

We are all just waiting for the water to subside following one hell of a thunder storm last night..   Lots of rivers and lakes on the site this morning.....  The WiFi here is rubbish or non-existent... So I will back these up until I can get to a McDonalds... I have tried to send a message home via the spot Sat device and have assumed that it got there..

Unexpectedly ( or I should have known) most of the bikes here are BMW GSAs with lots of Touratech bits bolted on... Although there are a couple of others : one being a very odd VStrom with two normal panniers and a further 4 large suit cases strapped on - two at the back like top boxes and 2 hanging off the sides at the front - and I mean Big cases.....   Not only that the bike has a lap seat belt for the rider to wear ... Very crazy...  I will post photos later....

Met another couple of Brits from Somerset yesterday and they have been working here for over 11 years...  There is a ride out this morning to the site of the surrender between Generals' Grant and Lee but I don't think I will go - I CBA'd to get suited and booted just to ride 7 miles down the road... I might call in on Sunday if it not raining....  Although the forecast is for thunder stores all day on Sunday ... Just what I needed...  I hope to be on the road for about 9am on Sunday.

I have been getting lots of advice on the best way to get to Flagstaff... But at present I just would like to get back into the sun and warmth.... ( yes I know it is cold and wet in UK but I came all this way for heat....)   I am going to have to ride west over the mountains and head for Lexington, and it may have to be on a bit of Interstate to start.... Then locate a camp site....  Or motel if I am totally soaked!!!!