Thursday 28 April 2016

HU Virginia 2016


Had a very slow start this morning and rode the last 80 miles to the Holliday Lake State park - the site for the Horizons Unlimited meeting 2016.   The trip was hot and humid and I stopped a couple of times for a break and a drink....   The roads are virtually empty and a dream to ride - albeit at my sedate pace.  I have just met two guys that have just ridden down from Maine in just two days.... That's about 500+ miles per day....  Mind you the BMW R1200 GSA was made for eating up the miles...    I am watching the same guy putting up his huge tent, and has been doing that for over a hour...

My tent is up but we are not allowed to park the bikes on the grass : how odd...
So I have had to stack the panniers in the porch of the tent....   

I did volunteer to assist and have been helping to fold up some of the merchandise ready for them to sell...  Then they started getting the signage ready .... Oh so much signage... Just take a ride down only road in the UK or anywhere for that matter and there is just too much signage....   I know of a stretch on road in hampshire where there are over 100 signs in about 2 miles.....

Ah well back to the plot... It is now 8 in the morning and whilst writing last night I was attacked by 4 nice guys carrying beers and stuff... So we sat and talked for a couple of hours then cooked supper under the cover of a large barn.... Then the rain started hard and it was time to turn in.....    It rained until about 5 am and I thought I had better get this written before the place gets over run with big BMW GSs.... And I can't get onto the www.    

All is well and I am here until Sunday then I will need to decide on a route for the next part of the trip - over to Flagstaff - about 2000 and I have about 20 days to get there....

TTFN