Sunday 27 May 2018

Casper - Windy Wyoming

Good afternoon dear reader from a very windy Wyoming,

After an interesting awakening this morning, feeling the need to visit the rest room for an early sit down, I was confronted by a rebellion tent, that refused to let me out with both zips stuck!!
I wrestled with then for what seemed to be ages before a very undignified exit and a quick trot across the field.   It is an old tent but I will see if I can make it last the trip, but I fear that this one "won't be going home".

I called in at Walmart to get some more lithium batteries for the Spot Nav, and it is going through then quite quickly as I am still unable to stop it reporting every 10 minutes instead of every few hours.

Then a slow ride through a very quiet town of Laramie, a coffee and a couple of hash browns, before exiting and proceeding north to Casper.   No sooner had I got out of town and on to the plains when the winds started and it continued for the whole 150 miles to Casper.   Just imagine if you would riding 150 miles with endless prairies for 30 miles on each side, the occasional change in direction, and the constant high winds as I rode along the Route 287 to Medicine Bow where thankfully there was I gas station, and then continued on Route 487 to Casper.  

I then took the opportunity to use the WiFi and Whats-app to phone home, which was great to get all the news and hear Debbie's voice.  It is now 3pm and the clouds are getting darker and they say that it is going to rain…. I think I will hit the showers and then retire to the camp lounge in the warm.

The plan for tomorrow is to ride from here to Devils Tower (as in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind) and hopefully stay for a couple of nights, which will give me to opportunity to visit places in the area, like Stugis, Sundance, and Mount Rushmore and such like.

Sorry about the photo but I just didn't take any today - I was too busy wrestling the bike and the crosswinds..  I was not in the mood to take any snaps.

Good night,