Thursday 10 May 2018

Day 1 - Bike and Customs

Good afternoon dear reader,

It was an early start this morning with breakfast done and I was off to walk to the Air New Zealand Freight office.   It was a refreshing walk but when I arrived I was informed that they had moved!!!  So off I set again to walk the 4 miles to the other side of the airport, and now the temperature is starting to rise.   Finally found the new office and was informed that they could not find the documents!!!  Took a seat and waited and hey presto they appeared 15 minutes later (such a lot of paper bouncing about).   Having collected the documents and paid the fee, it was off to the Customs Office.  I asked for directions and they could not believe that I was going to walk there!!! This town was not built with walkers in mind..

So off I set to the Customs Office which was only 2 miles away, and to meet with Officer Smith… at least I now know who ate all the pies….  The wheels moved very slow but I got the paperwork stamped and signed.  So now off back to the freight office….  The still couldn't believe that I got there and back within 80 minutes….   At last the bike was delivered to the loading ramp in the shade as requested.   I managed to scrounge a knife and an electric screwdriver and away we went.   I finally got it unpacked and all the bits put back on.  Excellent job Nigel and thank you to all those that helped me.  Got suited and booted and rode back to the Motel and then spent another hour repacking everything into the right place,,,,  Still too much stuff but that will get thinned out over the next week or so.

It is now 4pm as I hide from the sun.   I will watch a bit of TV which CNN go on and on about Trump etc etc… Then I will go looking for some supper…. Oh what  long day….

Tomorrow its is off through town and ending up at Huntington Beach area to meet up and stay with Pablo for a couple of nights