Monday 14 May 2018

Day 7 - Needles California

Dear Reader,

After a reasonable nights sleep at Calico Ghost Town it was an early start this morning 07:30 - I got on the road before the temperature started to climb.  Within five minutes I was again riding of the Mother Road Route 66. I stopped for fuel and a drink at Ludlow where I chatted with a group of Dutch bikers on Harleys and then stopped for a photo call at Amploy and met with a coach load of French people..  Talk about getting away from it all !

I continued along the endless and straight Route 66 through a "martian" landscape.   Most of the road was in great condition but in parts it was breaking and very rough..  Maybe that was why the road was closed at Essex and we were diverted up to the I-40 for the last leg to Needles.

Booked into the KOA at Needles…. Speaking of needles - just look at this photo of my trusty Froth-O-Meter on the bike….

Tomorrow the route will be Route 66 to Oatman - Kingman - then the long haul to Seligman - Williams and finally the Woody Mountain Campground at Flagstaff to meet up with friends who are also attending the Overland Expo….   That should take about 5 hours.  The plan is to stop there for two nights and then go onto the show ground for Thursday.

It is getting a bit hot at this table, so I am going to pack it all away and retreat to the shade of the building and hopefully some A/C..   Its needed as it 92 degree out here...

Speak tomorrow...