Tuesday 29 May 2018

Devils Tower - Wyoming

Dear Reader,

Yesterday afternoon turned out to be one mother of all storms with hail, rain, thunder and lightning, not forgetting to "Wyoming Winds".
I hid away in the tent and ate Pringles and listened to Podcasts of the News Quiz.

This morning after a hot shower I packed all away and was on the road for 7:30am, and within an 30 minutes the winds started and stayed that was for the next 3 hours.  I just did not enjoy that at all, and I could see the black clouds over to my left and then tried to race it but it caught up with me and I go soaked, what a difficult ride.   I finally got to Gillette and had to stop for a hot coffee, and then jumped onto the interstate to get to the Devils Tower via Sundance.

The rain then stopped and a little bit of sun came out.  Despite it being Memorial Day the town was empty….   So I will drive through it again tomorrow, and will stop and have and look around.  The plan is to ride the back roads to Sundance, Deadwood, Sturgis and Rapid City, where I have been invited to stop over with Michelle Lamphere and her husband.  She is a motorcycle traveller and the author of "The Butterfly Route" which is an excellent read.

I finally arrived at the campsite and then sun came out and I was in no mood to put up a tent so I changed to booking to a cabin, and you will have seen the view from the front door.   Amazing…

I have now eaten and need to decide if I am going to watch the film "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" that will be showing tonight in the shadow of the Tower itself.  Apparently some on the film was film from this campsite.  Hopefully a good nights sleep will follow.