Thursday 21 June 2018

Ely Nevada

Good afternoon dear Reader,
What a dreadful night at Dayton State Park - all a bit run down and the restroom some 300 yds away, no showers and my tent was so close to the US-50 it was like camping on the central reservation of the M25..... Not much sleep at all.

I was out of bed and all packed up ready to go by 6:15am. Off onto the "Loneliest Road" in the USA the US-50. It was reasonably clear all the way to Fallon with most of the traffic heading the other way towards Reno / Carson City. I stopped at Fallon for some food and water - I wish I had topped up with petrol too!!!

Then on to US-50 to Ely - miles and miles of bugger all.... as I approach the town of Austin I was running on fumes, so switched to reserve just in case... There were two sets of roads work that cost us about 25 minutes each... waiting in the heat. Finally found a Chevron Gas station just in time. Onwards through more and more miles of wilderness and mountain passes. I found another gas station at Eureka so topped up just in case.... onwards now to Ely a total of 351 miles today (6 hours with stops) but I could not be helped : this is Nevada....

Got to a campsite and had a hot shower and jumped up and down on the laundry, and ahhh a flushing toilet..

Tomorrow I will be heading to Beaver in Utah and then south to Flagstaff Arizona where I am booked in for two nights. A rest day is needed.

The view from my tent: