Friday 1 June 2018

Yellowstone Park Wyoming

Good morning dear reader,

I excelled myself today and I won't be doing it again!!! Read on…

I had planned to ride through Yellowstone park and then come out on the west side. I set off in great weather and headed for the park via the 212 from Laurie…. I passed through Red Lodge and everything was looking good, I then started to climb over Beartooth Pass which had recently been opened…. Up Up and up above the snowline and then ALL STOP - they had closed the pass on the Montana side…. Bugger, so I had to ride all the way back down and back track past Red Lodge before picking up the 78 to Columbus - It was beautiful up there but added over a hundred miles to the route.

From Columbus I had to ride to Bozeman and the take the road South to Big Sky and followed that down the edge of the Park down to West Yellowstone. I forgot the mention that on the way I passed through 3 heavy thunder storms, and on the 2nd one it was heavy rain and hail stones -….. aaarrrggghh…. But that was not all, as I got into another storm as I approached West Yellowstone and this time the temperature fell very quickly, and on top of that I ran out of petrol and had to stop and switch the reserve -all those hills were taking their toll.

I finally arrived at the campsite, wet, cold and in much need of a Cabin… but at over $140 a go that was now out of the question. I have pitched the tent on what looks like a piece of rough ground and headed for the Camp Store where I am now as yet another storm is over head…. I hope the tent is not under water !!! There will be no cooking tonight.

So all in all I rode for 410 miles and sat in the saddle for just over 9 hours….. I wont happen again… Now to look at tomorrows route !!! They say that yet another storm is coming in… So I will need to look at riding to better weather….

Had enough today - going to bed….

Nite Nite