Friday 8 June 2018

Lincoln City Oregon

Dear Reader,

That was a busy day but I got things done. I had a leisurely pack up this morning with more conversations with a chap who is interested in bike travel. He took pictures of the bike and even wanted a picture on me!! We may well see the results on FaceBook. I rode down to Gresham to sort out the phone bill but arrived to early for them - they weren't going to open until 10am. I so sat in the cafe next door and had coffee and a bun. It looks like a family run business as soon I was in conversation the Dad, Wife, Sister, niece and son….. The phone shop opened and at last I was able to pay my $30 bill with a $3 surcharge for not paying on-line - cheek. I also managed to contact Coos Bay Honda and the bike is booked in for next Wednesday. Hopefully they can get the part for the speedometer.

Then back on the bike and off to Keizer near Salem to find the REI store, as last night the zip on the tent failed and I was left holding the zipper un-attached to the tent. I managed to located the store and got a REI two man tent; I should note that a US two man tent is bigger then a UK two man tent (I wonder why). Anyhow, having erected it I could probably have got away with a one person tent. Never mind, more space for the kit and me. Alas the Coleman Phad X2 will not be coming home. I had served me well on many a trip. I did remember to save some of the aluminium poles for David as one of his broke on our last trip to Morocco.

This site is quiet except for the screaming kids, but the site does have a kitchen that will be serving breakfast in the morning. Oh good. I managed to get myself very grubby because I could not stand the state of the bike wheels anymore, so I have given them a reasonable clean, so off the the showers, did some washing, cooked supper and sorted the route for tomorrow. I will be going North from here to Astoria and abouts, then I might ride around the Olympic National Park and stay over before returning South. I will try to remember to stop and take some photographs…. as well as get some engine oil.

I hope the weather clears up a bit, it was forecast for rain today but that held off, but it is quite chilly at present. I have been wearing my heated waistcoat for the last few days. Looking forward to heading South to the hot stuff.

Nearly time for bed and new tent.

Nite nite