Tuesday 12 June 2018

South of Coos Bay Oregon

Good evening dear Reader,
After another excellent overnight stay with Steve and Miriam at Newport. We did a quick tour in the rain to the view points, (in a car) did some beer shopping, and got in a very tasty Chinese meal. The evening passed very relaxed in front of a log fire, even the three dogs were very chilled. I sorted out emails and backed up photos, and even got to video chat with my wife - don't ask me which app I used: not a clue.

I slept very well again and got up at 7am. We had a great breakfast (they are really excellent hosts), and I packed the bike - still too much stuff!!! Then it was time to leave 09:00 and to face two of my worries in one go: steep downhill with switchback and on big gravel... 🤨🤨. But I made it and rode over the bridge at Newport and away down the 101 South.

About an hour out it started to rain: not a lot but enough.... I reached Florence and stopped for a cup of tea at the same place I did in 2016... This was as far north along the 101 that I got that year.

I drove through Coos Bay where I will be returning to tomorrow to stay a couple of nights and hopefully get the bike serviced and the speedometer fixed. Then on Thursday I will head for ?????? before meeting up with Greg Bickle in McKinleyville California... By which time I with be about to start Week 7 of my rampage around the USA. I will need to check out the map and get a general idea of where I am headed. I intend still to visit: the Hoover Dam, ride through Las Vegas, Sequoia National Park, Mono Lake, The ET Highway🤨, Sadona, Prescott and even stay over in Flagstaff for a couple of days. As you can tell I am just browsing pages in my map book.

I have now had a cold for a couple of days and the pills Steve gave me ate holding it back: just.

It is now 4pm and it will soon be time for me to don my chefs hat and apron so that I can prepare this evening tasty tin.... Beef Stew.

Bye for now ... here are a few pictures... I might even trim the beard this evening !!

N