Tuesday 31 May 2016

18 States and just one to go...

Good evening dear reader,

I am currently in La Pine State Park ... No internet... You you will get this maybe tomorrow .  The ride up from Unity Lake was a good one, lots to see, plenty of mountain passes, straight roads, snow covered peaks and fabulous scenery.  I do believe that Oregon is the best looking state (so far!).

Before I start rambling, a funny thing happened last night... There I was resting in my sleeping bag at about 10pm when something fell from above into my ear....  Bugger I thought and tried to flick it away.... A little while later I felt movement inside my ear... and it appears very loud due to its location....   Very disconcerting I can tell you...  Where is a Q tip when you need one....  So I prodded and poked and it stopped for about 10 minutes then it started again.... More poking and prodding.... This continued for over two hours... Then a fierce attack with a little finger assisted by a tooth pick and all was quiet......  So whether it has gone or is lying dead in there is yet to be determined.....  I gave to ears a heavy duty rinsing in the shower this morning.... and with earplugs in all day...  nothing heard from my visitor..

I rode most of the day on the John Day Highway (26).  I must look him up as everything is named after him, John Day town, John Day river, John Day fossil beds etc etc.  Just when I thought I would get low on petrol and much needed breakfast I came across the Austin Cafe.... An excellent breakfast, lots of coffee, a shop and petrol.. A one stop shop - highly recommended.   Further down the road I met with a chap on a 1990 Harley towing a boat... You don't see that every day.  The scenery was so good I even stopped to set up the go pro.. I hope it comes out.. I don't usually have too much luck with it.

On the road there were hundreds of gofers trying to get run over - that's what I think they were, even more worrying was the number off deer that were standing in the road or loitering on the verge and thinking about crossing....  Also the roads were now very busy as the end of the Memorial Day holiday comes to an end... Rather like the A31 today I guess.

The sun was roasting two minutes ago but now it is behind the trees it bloody cold.... It will be very cold tonight.... Time for the thermal long-johns I think.

Rode on to Prineville, Redmond and then got a little lost trying to ride around Bend, but eventually found the scenic route through Deschutes National Forest and then back onto the 97 to La Pine.   Tomorrow it is down to Crater Lake for the night and then back up to Springfield for Wednesday night and then into Coos Bay for Thursday night and ready for the bike to get some attention on Friday....   Sound like a plan....

Supper is needed I think.... Good night campers, from me an my earwig friend !!!!







Odometer 75184

States so far......
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Missouri
Oklahoma 
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
Utah
Colorado 
Nevada
Idaho
Oregon

Last one:
California