Sunday 22 May 2016

Sunday morning 7am

Good morning reader,

Yesterday was a good day at the show, extreme winds, but hot sun.   Loads of problems with tents blowing away and things just taking off.  Loads to see at the show and some great people to chat with and the occasional fight with the WiFi.   I think a barber shop would have been useful as the hair and beard are starting to need attention.  Ed March and Rachel turned up and it was great to see them, and they are still riding south..

At the end of the day I sat a listened to Ted Simons for a while; he is so interesting and inspirational.  I don't believe that I am that type of traveller though, I just like to ride and see things, and if I remember: I take a few pictures..  Even these blogs are just diary notes and are not really of any worth except to me.  I am often asked if I am going to write a book about my travels and the answer is very simply and emphatically NO.    I often wonder what other riders think about over the many hours spent inside a motorcycle helmet, maybe that's why they get very philosophical about life and riding.

At about 7pm and then felt very tired and had too much sun, so I had a quick bite to eat and hit the sack, I just can not party/drink anymore....  Two guys did turn up with a guitar and a fiddle and they were brilliant.... Even from the seclusion of my tent..

This morning is sunny but very very cold.  I currently sat in the laundry room doing a communal wash, but it is warm and quiet in here.  The camp area is great but it is nice to get away for a while... Most of the cool guys campers are volunteers for the event or travellers giving presentations - it's like a club really.  There are such a range of travellers from those like me that just potter, to the long time travellers like the nice German couple who have been travelling since 2011, and Simon and Lisa Thomas who are now into their 13th year on the road.. (Although I think sponsorship must bring its own problems).  All in all some great people.

I need to check out the maps today and get the route ready for tomorrow and try to get into the showers as there appears to be just 4 for the whole camp... and a $2 a go they must make a fortune...  Most people will be leaving today and so hopefully a quiet and gentle return to solo biking tomorrow.

So tomorrow is back on the road heading north, so let's hope for no wind and clear skies  as I ride back to Flagstaff and onto Monument Valley and Medicine Hat.