Sunday 1 May 2016

And yet more rain......

.... We all had a good evening with the farewell speeches and the group photo and later we had a quiz.... and I won a book, which was good as I have been looking for one to read..  and I know I already have it but it will be good to read it again... It's Sam Manicom's Distant Drums....

We all then assembled around the big camp fire and sank a few beers and a lady was handing out Tequila - awful stuff....  Then it started to rain, and rain, and rain,,,,,, it was still raining in the morning; so we all had fun packing up in the rain, which was made more difficult by the fact that the bikes were not allowed on the grass next to the tents (how silly is that)...   Then a cooked breakfast and away... Still raining.... I met Cedric again at the petrol station and we said our goodbyes.... I then moved over to the McD to get the mail etc... And met up with another chap from the event... By now the rain was torrential, and so we chewed the fat for a little longer until it eased up.

I rode what must have been at least 150 miles to get over the mountain and then crossed the Parkway... Still raining but I could see that it was getting brighter the further I travelled West.... Towards Lexington and Covington... Where one of the guys suggested that I ride down the 39 to Marlington... Which I started to do and it was extremely nice road and good scenery but a little slow if I needed to get far enough along to find a camp site.    

So I pressed on and the sun came out at last.. I stopped for a break at Buena Vista and again for fuel near Crawley... I even managed to get through to my wife on the phone.. But then to battery failed....   I tried to ride to a state park that was on the map but could not locate it so I rode back and pressed on towards Beckley and saw a sign for a RV park... Well the road went on and on and the sound of the banjos got louder and louder.. I finally found it and gave the man $15 for the nights pitch... I had look at the toilet/showers and one quick look was enough... No shower tonight !!!

Tomorrow I will be mainly riding towards London, Somerset and Glasgow in Kentucky...

Odometer is reading 70674..