Saturday 7 May 2016

Oklahoma... And Route 66


Now sitting in Two Bridges State Park... In the state of Oklahoma and for $10 I appear to have most of it to myself..   So for those of you that at following me on the map... Go to page 107....  A late(ish) start about 9am... I rode through the early morning Branson... arggggggh it was a cross between Alton Towers, Blackpool and Las Vagas..  They even have a full size front end of the Titanic complete with iceberg and many other "attractions" ... The traffic was too heavy and so was my heart to stop and get a photo... But I am sure you can find it on Google...   I think I even clipped the edge of the State of Kansas near Galena just outside Joplin....

I pottered up the 65 and into the Honda Dealership at Springfield....  What a great bunch of guys...  We checked out the tyres (sorry tires) and decided that there was a good 1000 miles left on them .... At this rate that will be next weekend!!!!  We looked at some very expensive boots but decided to believe the label that said 'waterproof' on a pair for just $135... Just in time for the weather to change and start getting hot.....  All the guys from the dealership came out to see Madiba and give me a send off...  I could have brought a New Africa Twin with me and got sponsorship from Honda to show it off and it does not get released here for a little while more... But that sort of luck does not happen to me...

After that I rode out of Springfield and picked up Route 66 bound for Carthage...  I met up with two guys on HDs with patches for the "Wild Pigs" which was slightly worrying... We passed each other a couple of times and then we both stopped at and old Cafe/gas station on Route 66... And took a few photos of each other and chatted a while....  Then I followed the old 66 into Carthage with its great City Square and buildings....  But very quiet ... I think that they may have all been in church...

On the bike again and pointed it towards Wyandotte and the Two Bridges State Park.

Tomorrow is going to be a bit tricky trying to follow the 66 and stay out of the City of Tulsa and stay off the Interstates...  The planned route being Vinita, Chelsea, then West to Mannford and another State Park...   Must nearly be time for another Motel...

After that well it looks like... Over the top of Oklahoma City, then Clinton, Elk City heading towards Amarillo Texas...

Afternote:  it is now 6pm and the sun is still very hot... I have just finished a meagre supper of two coffees and a small tin of spaghetti and just two meatballs.... I still have one can of Budweiser left and that's for later when the sun has gone down.    Reading Ian Mutch's very amusing tales of his trip to NZ.  Gandalf's Garden.... (Hopeless Quests around New Zealand on a Harley Davidson)... I have listened to a few of Ian's presentation and they are very funny...  I actually met him once upon a ferry from Portsmouth the France...

 I must hit the shops tomorrow...

Afternote whilst have coffee and cream wheat at 6:30 in the morning and after a awful nights sleep... This is one of the noisiest State Parks so far... What I thought was a by road looks like a major rat run.. And just full of trucks and V8 thundering up the very slight incline... all bloody night.... And is still thundering past....  More and more each day I am missing my wife and home....  Maybe a rethink when I get to Flagstaff....

Odometer 71807