Wednesday 25 May 2016

Silverton Colarado

Well dear reader, what an interesting day.... I did not get to Ouray.
After Cortez I road a wonderful road to Durango, I though about stopping there but it was only 1pm so as usual I rode on... and turned out to be an even better, and scenic Route 550 (also known as the million dollar highway). It starts off as gentle rolling hills, then changes to high cliffs and forests, then we started to climb up and up. Then snow started to appear everywhere, so more climbing and the temperature was dropping all the time, until we reached the top and then down and down to Silverton at 9500 feet. I feel a little light headed and tired, so I hope that is due to the elevation. The views were fantastic and there is more to come tomorrow. So I started off in the cool desert of Goosenecks, then into the baron wasteland of the Four Corners and into the snow line of the San Juan National Forrest, what a fabulous country this is....

I found a motel in the town and booked in, as I am just knackered. I sorted out the route for tomorrow, and had a walk around the town, although most of the town is closed! and getting ready for this coming weekend - Memorial Day weekend. Most of the is still the original, and looks like a Wild West town without the dirt Main Street and horses. Very picturesque. (Pictures to follow). It is now nearly 5:30 and I packing in for today... and the Lone Ranger is on the TV... ??

Tomorrow is over the mountain pass and then on to Moab in Utah (campsite booked) And then up to Salt Lake City... and the Bonneville Salt Flats... I may well have problems finding a camp site on Friday and Saturday night. I will try to book one tomorrow near who knows where...

Odometer is 73901

Nite nite from a very tired biker.