Monday 9 May 2016

Still in Oklamoma


Hi reader,

Due to a very lazy day off from riding yesterday.. I managed to get an early start ... Although it did start to rain as I was packing up the tent...  I was on the road by 7:30 and in the middle of the Oklahoma City rush hour very soon after that....

Not a good start as the wind is a pain in the arse again today.... Huh should have ridden yesterday and had a day off today ... Even on the small roads through the city it was very unpleasant riding and a little scary..  Did my usual of stopping at a McDs for hash browns and coffee and send my mail and I got chatting to a chap about the bike in the car park.... You have good day now yawl....

Once clear of the city I got onto Route 66 passing through Yukon and then refuelled at El Reno.... Route 66 then runs parallel to I-40 for miles... I tried both and both were just too windy to be safe..... The wind was doing from the south and by the looks of it a start was coming too....  I just was not prepared to carry on, so asked Gertie to find a amp site at only 11am... Only 3.50 hours on the road incl breakfast....   I feel like a whimp but I have time on my side and being blown off the road is not an option......  

So here I sit.... I could not be arsed (CBA) to put up the tent again so I have taken a cheap cabin (no linen, no water,no en suite, no toilet). And I am now drying out the tarp... And sheltering from the wind..... Can't get the WiFi to work so off the reception and the the laundry.....  Far to early to cook, so it will be a coffee on my return...

Same route tomorrow but I will stop at Hydro, Weatherford and the Oklahoma Route 66 Museum near Clinton.. And try again to make it to Amarillo....

A poor life this if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.

Nigel