Monday 2 May 2016

Kentucky

Well the kittens were a pain so I locked then out of the sleeping area of the tent.... But they played and then climbed up the inner fly and all three spent the night sleeping on the top of the fly sheet above by head.... Pic to follow...  and do course it rained all night and into the morning, so I had to pack up in the heavy rain - yuk...

Rode until about three, I am not sure of how many miles but most miles were trying to get around or over mountains... I stopped for gas at a gas station and met a charming old cowboy and we chatted some... He talked and showed my pictures of his wonderful horse, and he talked about Vietnam, riding in Montana, and the problems of the Mexicans and Muslims!!!  

I carried on riding until 2pm and tried to find a Motel as I was soaked and I needed a place to get some washing done... Me and clothes,  I was running out of stuff and I was starting to smell a bit ???  The Garmin sent me into the hills .. Nothing... Back down the road and was followed by the Sheriff for about 5 miles....   I finally found a motel in Whitesburg Kentucky... It was still raining and when I ask how much.... Too much... So back on the bike and up the hill.... I got to the top of a the hill and BANG something hit my helmet, and again and again... All the cars were pulled to the side of the road... It was hail stones and they hurt.... U Turn was in order and back to the Motel... Got the rate down to $50 and in we go.   The washing is done and the bathroom looks like a laundry and the bedroom has sleeping bag and stuff all over the place.... The heating is on and it's hot and humid in here....   I might even try to dry out the tent later.... Mean while we now have 30 gaiters caught, shot and in the boat!!

Just watching the TV Kentucky style.... It's all guns, God and Gaiter hunting....  Like UKs extreme fishing but with gaiters... The final blow is with a gun as you would expect... 

Will have to have a walk around later to find some food... Cooking in the room is not allowed???? LOL. Now out with the maps and plan tomorrow... and it is still only 4pm. First stop at a motel.. After 13 nights under canvas.....